The analysis on the previous round’s line-ups results gave us a clear understanding of which lineups worked and which didn’t and also about the way coaches choose to approach each game. Let’s run the same analysis on Round 2 of Euroleague 2018-19, Regular Season.
Best Line-ups for PlusMinus
- Real Madrid managed to have again the best lineup in plus-minus with CAMPAZZO, TAVARES, RANDOLPH, FERNANDEZ, CARROLL recording a +10 in 8 minutes. Also very good performance from the lineup including CAMPAZZO, REYES, CARROLL, CAUSEUR, RANDOLPH, recording a +8 in 5 minutes
- Zalgiris looks like they find a good replacement for Pangos with Westermann being part of the best lineup ( ULANOVAS, WESTERMANN, MILAKNIS, DAVIES, KAVALIAUSKAS ) for this round recording a +10 in 5 minutes.
- Panathinaikos, even though they lost they managed to record a +10 in 4 minutes with LEKAVICIUS, PAPPAS, GIST, LANGFORD, MITOGLOU. An interesting observation is that compared to previous round’s best line-up for Panathinaikos with LANGFORD, CALATHES, LASME, LOJESKI, THOMAS (+9 in 3mins) the only common player is LANGFORD
- Olympiakos MILUTINOV, TOUPANE, STRELNIEKS, PAPANIKOLAOU, LEDAY recorded an impressive +8 in just 1 minute!
- While Barcelona, Khimki lost, they managed to show some improvement in their game with plus-minus +8 for this round. Same numbers for Armani even though they lost as well.
Line-ups with Most Minutes Played
- Barcelona PANGOS, SINGLETON, KURIC, CLAVER, TOMIC was by far the best lineup with many minutes on the court recording plus-minus +8 in 13 minutes
- FC Bayern Munich LUCIC, DEDOVIC, JOVIC, BARTHEL, BOOKER stayed for the maximum 18 minutes on the court recording -1
- Buducnost CLARK, CLARKE, GORDIC, CRAFT, NIKOLIC and Gran Canaria HANNAH, BAEZ, EVANS, STRAWBERRY, BALVIN stayed for 10 minutes on the court recording -2 and 0 respectively in the plus-minus category.
- And……..Khimki SHVED, BOST, CROCKER, GILL, MICKEY were kept in the game for 10 minutes, recording a -8 this time, one of the worst plus-minus for line-ups with many minutes on the court. Last round the same lineup stayed for 16 minutes only recording a +1.
As you have noticed I chose not to include the rankings for Points Scored Per Minute and Points Against Per Minute as I don’t think they give us a clear understanding of how efficient one line-up is on offense or on defense.
Consider the following example. Olympiakos MILUTINOV, TOUPANE, STRELNIEKS, PAPANIKOLAOU, LEDAY scored 8 points in 1 minute. On the other hand, Real Madrid CAMPAZZO, REYES, CARROLL, CAUSEUR, RANDOLPH scored 21 points in 5 minutes, meaning 4.2 points per minute. As you can see, it’s not fair for the Real Madrid lineup to claim that Olympiakos lineup is better on offense.
For better conclusions, we will wait for few more rounds to gather more data to better understand which lineups are more efficient on the two sides of the court.